Next Steps/Resource List
Our goal as followers of Jesus is to affirm the dignity of all the people of Israel and Palestine, both Jews and Arabs, and to work toward a peaceful resolution of the current conflict that will assure security and equal rights for all—Christians, Muslims and Jews. Our desire is to create a conversation that is truly Pro-Israel, Pro-Palestine, Pro-Peace, Pro-Justice, and ultimately Pro-Jesus. We are convinced that what the Middle East needs most is to see Jesus incarnated in his followers as we engage compassionately and wisely with the people of Israel and Palestine.
Here’s how you can become part of this movement of peacemakers.
1. Learn More
We Americans tend to be quite ignorant about what’s going on in the world. The combination of our power and our ignorance is really dangerous. We must educate ourselves if we want to part of the solution rather than perpetuate the problem.
Books: American and Middle Eastern Christian Voices
- Blood Brothers, Elias Chacour
- I Am A Palestinian Christian, Mitri Raheb
- Apocalypse Later: Why the Gospel of Peace Must Trump the Politics of Prophecy in the Middle East, Abdu H. Murray
- A Palestinian Christian Cry for Reconciliation, Naim Atifan Ateek
- Palestinian Memories: The Story of a Palestinian Mother and Her People, Alex Awad
- Whose Land? Whose Promise? What Christians Are Not Being Told About Israel and the Palestinians, Gary Burge
- The Lemon Tree, Sandy Tolan
- Lords of the Land: The War Over Israel’s Settlements in the Occupied Territories, 1967-2007, Idith Zertal and Akiva Eldar
- A New Voice for Israel: Fighting for the Survival of the Jewish Nation, Jeremy Ben-Ami
- The Much Too Promised Land: America’s Elusive Search for Arab-Israeli Peace, Aaron David Miller
- In the Land of Israel, Amos Os, (Israeli)
- Once Upon A Country, Sari Nusseibeh (Palestinian)
- One Palestine Complete, Tom Segev (Israeli)
- The Yellow Wind, David Grossman (Israeli)
- The Arab Israeli Conflict, Kristen Schulze
These articles offer a small sampling of resources produced by Americans, Israelis and Palestinians who are committed to justice, reconciliation and peace. Authors are theologians, lawyers, politicians, pastors, human rights activists.
- We Refuse to be Enemies By Rich Stearns http://blog.worldvision.org/stories/we-refuse-to-be-enemies/
- Following Jesus in the West Bank By Lynne Hybels www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj1007&article=following-jesus-in-the-west-bank&cookies_enabled=false
- Be a Common Friend to Jews and Arabs By Lynne Hybels http://lynnehybels.blogspot.com/2011/11/common-friend-to-arabs-and-jews.html
- The Place of Israel By John Stott (click on the link to the sermon to download PDF) www.stephensizer.com/2011/07/john-stott-the-place-of-israel/
- A Republican’s Case for Peace By Marshall Breger www.momentmag.com/moment/issues/2010/06/Opinion-Breger.html
- Where Politics Are Complex, Simple Joys at the Beach By Ethan Bronner www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/world/middleeast/27swim.html
- Culture as the Art to Breathe By Rev. Dr. Mitri Raheb www.mitriraheb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=359:culture-as-the-art-to-breathe&catid=33:english&Itemid=20
- Why I'm Leaving Journalism for Politics By Daniel Ben-Simon http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/daniel-ben-simon-why-i-m-leaving-journalism-for-politics-1.247790
- Flirting With the Apocalypse By Daniel Seidemann and Lara Friedman www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/flirting-with-the-apocalypse-1.6397
- Israel’s Palestinian Partner is Ready and Waiting By Libby Lenkinski Friedlander www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/israel-s-palestinian-partner-is-ready-and-waiting-1.315403
- For Israel's Sake, Moderate American Jews Must Find Their Voice By Jeremy Ben-Ami www.forward.com/articles/13154/
- How Faith is Realpolitik in the Holy Land By Gregory Khalil www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15570274.2010.504035#preview
- Israel's Worrisome Path By Jafar Farah and Dr. Alla Shainskaya, 04/08/11 http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/foreign-policy/154865-israels-worrisome-path
- Epilogue: The Holy Land Today By N.T. Wright www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Holy_Land_Today.htm
- The Missing Mahatma: Searching for a Gandhi or a Martin Luther King in the West Bank By Gershom Gorenberg www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/329fvswo.asp
- The Rat Race and the March of Folly By Shlomo Swirski www.jewishjournal.com/opinion/article/the_rat_race_and_the_march_of_folly_20110729/
- http://peacenow.org American arm of Shalom Achshav, the Israeli Peace Now movement that was established in 1978.
- http://jstreet.org Political home of the American Pro-Israel, Pro-Peace Movement.
- http://www.btselem.org/ The Israeli information center for human rights in the occupied territories.
- http://www.icahd.org/ ICHAD--Israeli Committee Against Home Demolitions
- www.justvision.org Just Vision is an organization that promotes and highlights the efforts of Israeli and Palestinian non-violent peace builders.
- http://cfpeace.org/ Israeli and Palestinian former fights joining forces for peace.
- http://www.theparentscircle.org/ The Bereaved Parents Circle, Israeli and Palestinian parents who have lost children to the conflict.
- http://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/ Breaking the Silence, Israel Soldiers reporting on the occupation
- http://www.tikkun.org Tikkun Olam, Jewish magazine
- http://rhrna.org/ Rabbis for Human Rights North America
- http://972mag.com/ 972Mag
English Versions of Israel/Palestine Media (representing a broad range of perspectives)
- Little Town of Bethlehem www.littletownofbethlehem.org
- Bethlehem, Caught in the Crossfire Produced by Kensington Church in Detroit. Available for free viewing. www.vimeo.com/10721576
- Encounter Point www.justvision.org/encounterpoint
- Budrus www.justvision.org/budrus
- Sami Awad on the Holocaust Pt. 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOYENSCBBJk
- Sami Awad on the Holocaust Pt. 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YG6s1KTosQ
- Breaking The Silence Testimonies from Israeli Soldiers http://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/testimonies/videos/15402
- Daoud Nasser, Tent of Nations http://vimeo.com/29677206
- Story Swap Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIp2xP0PrXw&feature=youtu.be
- ABC News Interview of Ronit, Just Vision http://abcnews.go.com/International/video/documentary-budrus-10488838
- Videos about settler takeovers of Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem and support from Jewish activists, http://www.justvision.org/homefront
- Bedouin moved to a garbage dump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhlrG2z2ccw&feature=player_embedded#!
- Elias Chacour Desks for Peace Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eoQ9stT7HU&feature=share
- God TV Trees and Bedouin Village http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8Y5y73M18
2. Speak Up
- When you hear false comments, counter them with truth
- But do it carefully
- Honor two narratives, don’t demonize either side
- Learn more so you can do this!
3. Encounter—See For Yourself—Alternative Holy Land Tours
- Telos Groups Tours - http://telosgroup.org/
4. Go and Serve
- Tent of Nations - http://www.tentofnations.org/
- Holy Land Trust - www.holylandtrust.org
- Christian Peacemaker Teams - http://www.cpt.org/
- Serve Nazareth - www.nazarethtrust.org/SERVE
5. Support the Palestinian Christian Community
- Bethlehem Bible College - www.bethbc.org
- Galilee Bible College – www.gbcollege.org
- Elias Chacour’s schools - http://www.pilgrimsofibillin.org/
- Arab Israeli Bible Society – www.aibible.org
6. Support Palestinian Economy
- Olive oil and food products – www.canaanfairtrade.com
- Gift items – www.anastas-bethlehem.com
- Gift items – www.palcraftaid.org
- Gift items – www.bethbc.org/giftshop
7. Support Reconciliation Between Palestinian and Israeli Christians
- Musalaha – www.musalaha.org
8. Pray for peace and justice
- Grassroots peacemakers in Israel and Palestine
- Political leaders in America, Israel and Palestine
- Non-violence movement in Palestine
- For yourself, for the wisdom and grace to become a peacemaker